Make your very own cannabis tinctures at home. Before you get started, might we suggest adding some additional flower to your usual THC delivery order – some for smoking, some for tincture experimenting. Get everything you need at Chronic Haze online dispensary for same day weed delivery or weed delivery Canada wide.
What is a tincture?
Cannabis tinctures are essentially alcohol-based cannabis extracts. There are oil based tincture options as well but if you’re looking for something uber quick and easy, we like the alcohol route.
Tinctures are great if you don’t like smoking or if you want a cannabis option a little more discrete. Tinctures are considered an edible form of marijuana but they work a lot quicker than their baked good counterparts and that’s because tinctures are usually distributed under the tongue and the sublingual tissue under the tongue allows the cannabinoids to pass directly to the bloodstream instead of through the digestive tract and then the bloodstream. With that, consuming a pot brownie will usually take an hour to 90 minutes before a high can be felt whereas with a tincture, the high can be immediate, even a matter of seconds.
How to make tinctures at home
The process for homemade tinctures is quite simple with minimal equipment and just four easy steps.
- One baking sheet
- 1 glass jar
- 1 glass tincture bottle with eyedropper
- A funnel
- A coffee filter or cheese cloth
- Flower of choice – an eighth of an ounce is suggested (for every ounce of flower use one bottle of 750ML food grade alcohol).
- 3 oz of high-proof, food-grade alcohol
Note: a grain alcohol like vodka is great for this and the higher the alcohol content, the better it will dissolve the cannabis resin. DO NOT use isopropyl alcohol as it is NOT meant to be consumed
- Activate those cannabinoids by decarbing your weed. Preheat your oven to 240° F. Place your bud on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Shake the tray every 10 minutes or so to make sure the bud doesn’t burn. Once the bud starts to turn a brownish green colour, then the decarboxylation process is complete, and you can remove the sheet tray from the oven. Let the weed sit until it’s cool enough to touch. Coarsely grind or cut up your weed and set aside.
- Put your de-carbed flower into the jar and add the alcohol. Give it a good stir and close the lid.
- Let the jar sit in a cool, dark place for three weeks ensuring to shake the jar once a day. This length of time will allow the cannabinoids to fully dissolve into the alcohol.
- After the two weeks is up, put the coffee filter into the funnel and pour the liquid from the jar into your tincture bottle.
If you haven’t heard it enough on here, start low and go slow. Start with 1ML under the tongue and increase to 2ML another day if you prefer a more potent experience.
Properly storing your weed, whether in flower, baked good or tincture form is crucial to shelf life and potency. If properly stored, tinctures can last years. Making sure your tinctures are properly sealed and are stored in a cool, dark place (light is the devil) will extend that shelf life.
There you have it, tincture basics 101! Homemade tinctures are the perfect DIY projects and a great addition to your everyday routine if smoking daily isn’t your jam but you still want to reap all the benefits marijuana can provide.
Same Day Weed Delivery and Weed Delivery Canada Wide
You may be wondering, “Is there a Dispensary near me?” Of course there is! Order with Chronic Haze today for same day weed delivery in Mississauga, Brampton, Etobicoke, Oakville or Milton. We also offer curbside pickup in Mississauga.
Not within the service boundaries? Try ordering weed online as we ship Canada-wide, which typically takes 2-3 business days. Experience our service today!